It was just there. Staring at me. In all its mac and cheese gloriousness. It was saying Eat me. Eat the mac and cheese. I’m cheesy, I’m gooey, I’m somehow organic even though I came out of a box… I’d been having this argument with myself all morning. I fought with the flour tortillas that I used to wrap my sons’ tacos in, I stared longingly at my husband’s toast that was soaking up the yolk of his egg, and I argued with Annie’s Organic Cheddar shells and cheese. And I won, y’all. I thought for sure I’d be defeated, but I wasn’t, and I came up with a yummy warm salad to combat my hunger after defeating the mac and cheese.
I looked in the fridge, but I didn’t want your typical cold salad. I instantly came up with this simple, but delicious warm salad. The best part? It only took 10 minutes from start to finish. You need to try it, because it will change your life, or at least your vegan lunches.
1/4 cup of sliced red onions
6 sliced mushrooms, your choice
2 heaping handfuls of chopped kale
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
1. Slice and chopped the veggies while heating up the coconut oil
2. Place the sliced onions in the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Once the onions are translucent, add the mushrooms.
4. Once the mushrooms are softened, add the kale.
4. Sprinkle with garlic powder while the kale is softening, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
5. Enjoy your masterpiece and give yourself a pat on the back for turning down the mac and cheese.
1. This recipe serves 1 person. Double or triple the recipe as needed.
2. Use this as a base for your warm kale salad. Get creative with your add ins!
3. Consider adding other seasonings like red pepper flakes or smoked paprika.
4. If you’re not a vegan, top with crumbled gorgonzola cheese.
5. If you’re not vegan or vegetarian, cook chopped bacon with the onions.
Try it out, and let me know what ya think! And help me out, what’s your favorite vegan lunch?