I’m sure many of us have heard this before: You need to take better care of yourself. This may sound surprising considering my passion is health and wellness, but it was something that was coming up a lot for me lately. I was still providing my body with good foods, quality essential oils, and amazing supplements, but there were some key elements I was missing. I am just a few weeks into this, and I already feel a difference. So, I decided to share my personal experience with y’all, and start a self care series.
Today’s focus will be on sleep. Sleep has always been something I could easily sacrifice, but that doesn’t mean I should! When I was 12 years old I developed insomnia for over a year, so I was normally running on 2 or 3 hours a night. In high school and college pulling “all nighters” to study for exams or finish writing essays was the norm for me. Once motherhood came along, a lack of sleep had just become a part of life. I would throw phrases around, like Sleep when you’re dead… Sleep is for the weak… 10:00PM – 1:00AM are my office hours. I normally would stay up super late, and then just crash at midnight or 1:00AM. Y’all, my kids are up at 6:00AM, and 5 hours is NOT enough sleep for this 31 year old mama. I may have been able to function on that 10 years ago, but that is just not the case anymore.
Eventually, your body will show signs of wear and tear. (And please here me out on this, all you achievement driven people like myself: THIS IS NOT A WEAKNESS. Good grief, when did I start believing if I got 8 hours of sleep I wasn’t being productive enough? What a load of crap! Our bodies were designed to sleep for 8 hours a day.) If you are looking for a natural solution to help your body get a good night’s sleep, try using doTERRA’s Serenity (Restful Blend) products. You can find them at mydoterra.com/amandagerber.
Are you wondering what a lack of sleep actually does to your body? Well, let me tell ya:
- Brain Fog & Memory Retention: When we sleep, we are giving our mind a rest. Just like our muscles need to rest overtime, so does our brain. If we aren’t giving our brain enough time to rest, then metal fatigue and brain fog sets in. You can also become forgetful, and your short term memory may suffer. For additional support, consider dropping 1 drop of doTERRA’s Frankincense under your tongue to promote a optimal brain health.
- Weight Issues: If you’re someone who is trying to lose weight, then you definitely need a good night’s sleep. Studies have shown that an inadequate amount of sleep can prohibit your body from shedding pounds. For additional support, consider using doTERRA’s Slim & Sassy products to support a healthy blood sugar and metabolism.
- Aging: Too little sleep can increase signs of aging. This can include fine lines and wrinkles, dark spots, and circles under your eyes. Many times, what is happening on our skin is the reflection of what’s happening internally as well. For additional support, use doTERRA’s Immortelle (Anti-Aging Blend) to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Emotional Suffering: If you’re not getting enough sleep for your body, then you will probably be quick tempered, moody, or suffer from mood swings. Now your lack of sleep is affecting everyone around you, especially your family. For additional support, try out some of doTERRA’s blends of oils that support your mood and emotions: Peace, Balance, Elevation, or Cheer.
- Weakened Immune System: A lack of sleep can weaken your immune system, and make you more likely to catch various colds, or viruses that are in your area. For additional support, use doTERRA’s OnGuard (Protective Blend) and Melaleuca to support a healthy immune system.
I decided recently to make a change. I recognized how my lack of sleep was affecting not just me, but my family as well. So, I decided to get 8 hours of sleep a night. For the most part, I have been sticking with it. Have I noticed a drastic change? No, but nothing ever happens overnight. (See what I did there?) Plus, I was already feeling pretty good, so this is something I’m implementing for the long term benefits. Although, I have been noticing I am able to stay on task more without being distracted, so I am enjoying that!
Bonus from ME!
For those of you curious about the doTERRA essential oils I mentioned, here is what I am offering when you choose to start your doTERRA journey with me (and this month only doTERRA is throwing in $50 in FREE essential oils with any starter kit!):
•Welcome gift (personalized roller bottles, recipes, and other oily goodies)
•Private access to my team’s Facebook group (a wealth of oil knowledge)
•Free Wellness Consultation (a chance to really dive deep into your health goals)
•Continued Support (to answer your questions in real time from a real person— ME!)
Simply go to mydoterra.com/amandagerber and click “Join & Save” to get started.
Which one of these promos are you taking advantage of this month? Share below in the comments!
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
I wanna know! How many hours of sleep do you get each night?