So, Nathan was out of town last week with my two oldest boys, and it was just me and baby Isaac at home. For me, that meant cooking things that my husband doesn’t really care for like lasagna and bruschetta. Well, to his defense, he does like bruschetta, but not as a meal… you know, because there’s no meat in it. I learned early in my marriage that meat is a must for 6 out of 7 dinners for the week. Anyho, I actually did some measuring and picture taking of my bruschetta making endeavor so you, my readers, can get the recipe. I hope you enjoy!
For the topping:
• 3 large tomatoes or about 7 smaller tomatoes, chopped and seeded.
• 1-2 cloves of garlic, grated
• 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped basil
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• ¼ – ½ chopped red onion
For the bread:
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 whole cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
• 1 loaf of quality, crusty bread
• Salt and pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients for the topping in a medium sized bowl.
2. Start with 1 garlic clove and ¼ chopped red onion and add more if desired.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
4. Melt butter and roast the smashed garlic in a pan.
5. Slice the loaf and grill both sides of the slices in the butter and garlic.
6. Once the bread is done, top with the topping and top with basil leaves to garnish.
7. Close your eyes, take a bite, and enjoy this refreshing delight.
• For this recipe, the vegetables and herbs are the star of the dish. If you can, get the freshest ingredients from your own garden or a local farmer’s market. Fresh tomatoes taste like earth and sunshine, and you won’t be able to get the same flavor from the grocery store.
• This recipe can either be a meal or appetizer. If you’re wanting to serve it as an appetizer, simply change up your bread to a baguette and you can always double the recipe if you’re expecting a big crowd.
• Consider adding another element of fresh sliced mozzarella to the mix.
• This recipe made enough topping for 8 slices of a large French loaf.
8 thoughts on “Tomato Basil Bruschetta”
Love bruschetta! Can’t wait to try!
Give it a go and let me know what ya think!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks! It’s one of my favorite dishes to eat in the summertime! 🙂
Yes! Very much so!
Looks great 🙂