As promised, I am going to give you another post related to Mother’s Day. Today my post is going to be in the form of recipe (not for mom to make, but for you to make for her!). Can you guess what my recipe will contain? My two favorite ingredients: chocolate and essential oils. Yummm…
So, these are actually gluten free brownies that are moist and yummy and full of fiber! Fiber in brownies?!? How is that even possible? Two words for you: Black. Beans. Now, don’t you crinkle your nose at me. I just made this and tried it out on unsuspecting guests with great results. My husband actually liked it, but admitted he would like it a little sweeter (an easy fix!). Honestly I did not expect to like these brownies, but I love them. I am going to give you the original recipe that I followed from doterrablog.com and feel free to tweak it according to your taste buds.
Photo credit: doterrablog.com
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained, and rinsed (Trust me, just do it!)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup honey (I actually used half honey and half agave)
1/3 cup coconut oil
½ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
4 drops Peppermint essential oil
¾ cup chocolate chips, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place all ingredients, except for chocolate chips, in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Stir in ½ cup chocolate chips.
4. Pour into greased 8×8 inch pan and top with the remaining chocolate chips (don’t skip this step, this is what made the brownies perfect).
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (mine took 40 minutes). Let cool (or not! We dug right in when it was still warm and it didn’t make a huge mess, just a little one.) and cut into pieces. Store in the fridge if you haven’t devoured the entire pan.
– Y’all, this is my new favorite dessert. I love it and I don’t have to feel guilty about having
two three brownies. This would be a dessert a mom on a diet could actually eat. It’s awesome.
– At first bite I thought it could be a tad sweeter, but once I took another bite I realized it was just the right amount of sweet for me. From my personal reviews everyone liked the brownies, but a couple of people could use a touch more sweetness.
– This is a very versatile recipe: you can use the peppermint essential oil, or cinnamon, or clove, or simply leave the oil out of the dish. Play around and have some fun with it!
What do you think about black beans in brownies? Try the recipe and comment below how it goes!
2 thoughts on “Mother’s Day Brownies”
Thanks Becca! It tastes amazing too!